Favorite programming language?

Anything you want to talk about.
Artemex
Scavenger

Favorite programming language?

Postby Artemex » 21 Nov 2017, 08:21

What is your favorite programming language?
:cat:

Alundaio
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Re: Favorite programming language?

Postby Alundaio » 21 Nov 2017, 16:35

I would have to say lua (luaJIT) is my favorite programming language, as far as embeddable scripting languages go. Then I would say C++ for when you need to get a real job done; but I really need to brush up my C++ as I only learned C++98 in college, C++17 is out now and it's much different. I dislike Java and if given the choice, would use the similarly syntaxed C#. If I were to choose a programming language that I always wanted to learn but was too lazy, I would pick Python.

The reason I like lua is because you can write complex tasks in a rather short amount of time. I have my own library and snippets of code from working on various lua projects for the last decade that I can do just about anything with lua that you can do with other scripting languages (like Java). I even have been working on a 3D/2D Engine using luaJIT with FFI bindings for various 3rd party C libraries, like SDL 2, OpenGL, OpenAL, PhysicsFS, FreeType, KazMath etc.
"I have a dream that one day this community will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all mods are created equal."

Artemex
Scavenger

Re: Favorite programming language?

Postby Artemex » 22 Nov 2017, 03:27

Alundaio wrote:I would have to say lua (luaJIT) is my favorite programming language, as far as embeddable scripting languages go. Then I would say C++ for when you need to get a real job done; but I really need to brush up my C++ as I only learned C++98 in college, C++17 is out now and it's much different. I dislike Java and if given the choice, would use the similarly syntaxed C#. If I were to choose a programming language that I always wanted to learn but was too lazy, I would pick Python.

The reason I like lua is because you can write complex tasks in a rather short amount of time. I have my own library and snippets of code from working on various lua projects for the last decade that I can do just about anything with lua that you can do with other scripting languages (like Java). I even have been working on a 3D/2D Engine using luaJIT with FFI bindings for various 3rd party C libraries, like SDL 2, OpenGL, OpenAL, PhysicsFS, FreeType, KazMath etc.

Thank you, Alundaio! You are a nice person!
;)

Return to “Off-Topic”