Re-creating the UI seems like a tough job. I'm not even sure if it is possible to implement drag&drop with the limited exported class functions for CUIWindow. You literally have to make each icon it's own window and move it according to mouse position while the button was held.
D&D is out out of scope right now, so I did those in a form of a list, that will be sorted by item category (AR,SMG,Pistol,Armor,etc) http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/4854 ... 657gar.jpg
Are you sure that getting mouse X,Y in custom UIs is possible? If so, then I might have an idea how to implement that. Also, the picture has been taken about a week ago, so it's far more into development right now. The UI will resemble old Fallout 1 and 2 it terms of mechanics. Backpack items in outer lists and items proposed for trade in inner lists.
What do you mean Mass Effect like companions? Can you actually order them to a location?
Exact position no, as I don't know how to get the position on the ground the targeting reticule is aiming at. If I could do that, then deriving the lvid would be a nobrainer. Instead I use smart_terrains that are largely scattered around CS maps and use dialog/radio to navigate them.
My companion mod is dynamic in that anyone can become your companion. I had to create my own companion scheme and behavior logic. The only way it was possible was to edit xr_logic to read NPC info portions.
Well, mine do not have logic at all. I wrote one manager script that governs their statistics, HUDs, level transition, teleportation to player if one gets too far, etc. Basically a manager that handles companion<>player commands and relations, statistics such as health (they use an external health system), armor modifiers (exact properties as for the player) and ammo consumption (since NPCs do not consume ammo by default). The other is an AI module that basically acts as the companion's brain, performing commands, navigation, adaptation to terrain and combat.
I wanted to make a radio item you could put in a quick slot and order them to a position using xray extensions. Is that what you did?
Yep, that's what I did. A custom UI radio item for managing companions as well as faction squads. Though CS does not support custom hotkeys, so I'm unable to bind it anywhere other then a consumable-replicating item.
Since you're so interested in companions I can list all of their features:
- Attack smart terrain command
- Follow me command
- Hold position command
- Hold fire command
- Fire at will command
- Defensive stance
- Aggressive stance
- Manageable inventory - You have to outfit your companions yourself, including armor. And they make use of all armor properties (with upgrades and artifact properties, provided their armor has enough slots). They can be overweight too - same effects
- They use all consumables depending on the illnesses (irradiation, bleeding, critical health, low stamina)
- Custom relaxed behavior - They go into a bar if you're visiting a base, comment on situations.
- Custom combat behavior - Depending on the carried weapon, stance and enemy type. Sniping, charging, stalking, covering, etc.
- Custom HUDs so that the player is always informed about their status.
The biggest problem so far, is that you cannot dismiss them, and most ppl complain that they are stuck with a following lapdog.