[Tutorial] Making _bump.dds

Alundaio
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

[Tutorial] Making _bump.dds

Postby Alundaio » 17 Oct 2016, 09:36

X-Ray bump.dds store normal map and specularity info on the RGBA channels of a DXT5 image. The specularity data is stored on the red channel while the normal data is shifted to the green, blue and alpha channels.

1. Gimp (FREE) [Must have x86 version!]: https://www.gimp.org/downloads/
  • Grab the normal map plugin for Gimp: http://registry.gimp.org/node/69
  • Place normalmap.exe and glew32.dll into C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins
  • Place libgtkglext-win32-1.0-0.dll and libgdkglext-win32-1.0-0.dll into C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin

2. Open the diffuse image from what you want to create the bump map into two different tabs.
  • Menu bar > Filters > Map > Normal Map
  • Leave default settings and press okay
  • Menu bar > Colors > Components > Decompose as RGB
  • This should create a new tab

3. Switch to the decomposed image
  • Rename layer 'red' to 'a'
  • Rename layer 'blue' to 'g'
  • Rename layer 'green' to 'b'

4. Switch to the untouched diffuse texture. This will be the specularity map.
  • Menu bar > Colors > desaturate
  • Menu bar > Levels
  • Move the sliders until mainly the white shows. Don't make the image too sharp.

5. Copy the specularity image as a new layer to the decomposed image.
6. Rename this new layer to 'r'
7. Re-arrange the layers from top to bottom as red, green, blue and alpha.
8. Menu bar > Colors > Components > Compose as RGBA
8. Export image as BC3/DXT5 with GenerateMipMaps

You are done. You should see that the new *.dds will look green and similar to other X-Ray bumps.

_bump#.dds are created by the Image Editor panel inside of the Actor Editor or Level Editor within the SDK.
"I have a dream that one day this community will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all mods are created equal."

DonKnotts
Scavenger

Re: [Tutorial] Making _bump.dds

Postby DonKnotts » 26 Jan 2017, 21:49

Do bump# textures use anything besides the parallax map in the alpha channel? I've always assumed that the noise in the red and blue channels and the partial normal Y channel in green were just by products of how they automated the saving or generation of them originally.

Alundaio
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby Alundaio » 27 Jan 2017, 00:20

I don't really have any idea honestly, I just know that the SDK generates them. I never learned how to make them manually. That would be an incredible waste if that were true though.
"I have a dream that one day this community will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all mods are created equal."

DonKnotts
Scavenger

Postby DonKnotts » 27 Jan 2017, 02:47

I honestly couldn't tell a difference in side by side testing after filling RGB with HSL 0/0/50, if there's a difference it's negligible. There were quite a few wastes of space as far as redundant textures and such, so it wouldn't surprise me too much.

Btw, I asked on the moddb CoC forum already, but I'll ask here too since I'm already here. Is there any way to turn off the terrain shading/coloring without the SDK?

Alundaio
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby Alundaio » 30 Jan 2017, 21:46

Sorry I don't know.

As for bump# I found that using the heightmap plugin in Paint.net on the _bump and unchecking replace alpha and setting multiplier to 1 closely resembles the _bump# created by LE.

Alundaio
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby Alundaio » 16 Feb 2017, 22:10

Yeah _bump# is not just height in alpha. _bump#.dds are used for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax_ ... on_mapping

It's to hide seams and self shadow. Try putting white or black in R G B and you will see you screw up the shadowing on a NPC.

lisac2k
Scavenger

Postby lisac2k » 12 Mar 2017, 07:23

Just wanted to add this video tutorial as a complement to the one in the OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrkOAIZqKTA

The approach looks quite similar and the results are great. The video is in Russian, but the steps/technique should be obvious to anyone with novice-to-intermediate skills.

Return to “Modding Tutorials”