Setting up a heli spawn/patrol from task on_init?

sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE
Scavenger

Setting up a heli spawn/patrol from task on_init?

Postby sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE » 21 Jan 2018, 22:02

Hi,
I'm setting up a simple custom one time task in CoC 1.5, but I'm unsure of how to handle the helicopter side of the task.

It's a custom fetch task in outskirts/cop pripyat.
The player shoots down a helcopter and retrieves a helicopter blackbox and a pda from the dead pilots body.
Then returns to the task giver to hand in the blackbox and pda.

I have added a dead pilot and blackbox that is spawned when the helicopter is destroyed.
Shooting down any helicopter will drop a dead pilot and blackbox (I've added a info check so the dead pilot will only spawn for my task, blackbox will spawn with any heli kill).
So I have the task_functor, task_status_functor, xr_condition, xr_effects functions implemented to handle monitoring the actor has the 2 fetch items in their inventory.
Currently as a test I have the task not target any specific helicopter, just monitor for when the player has the 2 items.

What I'm absolutely lacking is the method to spawn a helicopter and have it patrol between 2 or 3 close together smarts when task on_init is fired.
Any pointers for this last step are welcomed.

Off topic:
The good part of what I've already written it allows me to easily setup generic multi individual item fetch tasks.
Example;
"Hey stalker I'm going on a journey and I'm unprepared, can you bring me a wood stove, bag of charcoal, sleeping bag?"
"Ok, I'll bring you those items, no worries."
or
Hey stalker the boys each need a type of gun can you bring me: SVD Sniper Rifle, Avalance, Eliminator, RP-74?"
"No problem, be back soon with what your after."

Makes more sense to me then the vanilla Find "# x item" (# = count and item = being just one type).

luppolo
Scavenger

Re: Setting up a heli spawn/patrol from task on_init?

Postby luppolo » 23 Jan 2018, 22:03

to spawn an helicopter you can look at the stpk_utils.spawn_heli() code to spawn it at a given position instead than at the player's, how to make it patrol i have no idea, should check the bind_heli and heli_combat scripts for clues how to do it

sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE
Scavenger

Postby sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE » 24 Jan 2018, 04:27

Thank you luppolo,

That did the trick nicely, just re-purposed the spawn_heli function by pointing to a smart_terrain and added some height to the position vector.
So when I take the task the heli spawns and hovers peacefully above the smart and once I start shooting at it kicks into life..
So my task now works as I intended it to, all good.

Off topic:
When seeing my Heli up at Pripyat I had a small flashback to the ending of CoP...lol

Cheers

luppolo
Scavenger

Postby luppolo » 24 Jan 2018, 16:48

sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE wrote: once I start shooting at it kicks into life..

you can actually "shoot" it with code so you can activate it without actually shooting yourself

Code: Select all

local helicopter_object = alife():object(helicopter_id)
local h = hit()
         h.type = hit.fire_wound
         h.power = 0.0
         h.impulse = 0.0
         h.direction = vector():set(0,1,0)
         h.draftsman = db.actor
         helicopter_object:hit(h)

this works on regular npc, no idea if it's the same with helicopter though, and of course i think it works only if you are on the same map

sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE
Scavenger

Postby sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE » 24 Jan 2018, 22:00

Thank you for the heads up about hit().

For the moment I actually like that it hovers on the spot till I shoot at it.

But tripping it off with a hit when the player is a certain distance from the heli so the heli will look lively when the player sees it, that's gotta be pretty sweet.

Hmm, back to the scripts...

Cheers

Return to “General Discussion”