Been trying this mod out and...

JackOfOwls
Scavenger

Been trying this mod out and...

Postby JackOfOwls » 15 Jul 2016, 11:26

...color me impressed. I expected lots of empty areas and long stretches of not much action due to comments about underground areas remaining bare bones in regards to Alife, but I started in two starting areas trying two different factions and TONS of shit happened. The mod seems very polished and after playing for a couple of hours or so also very stable. However, I'll be holding off playing extensively until I get my new Nividia GTX 1070 card very soon so I can crank up all the eye candy and play this at 60+ FPS. I like to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R at "Maximum" detail settings in 1920 X 1080 and this mod causes my current GTX 660 Ti to run hotter than I'm used to at those settings (though not dangerously so). Of course I can turn details down a bit and fix this issue, if you can even call it an issue. But this will give me time to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R's two official expansions (CS & COP) for the first time and maybe replay SOC using just the reclamation bugfix patches.

So in ending I just wanted to say that this is a VERY promising, polished project not bogged down by a lot of unnecessary crap, quite possibly the definitive sandbox mod. You guys richly deserve all the accolades it's been getting.

corradobernardi
Scavenger

Re: Been trying this mod out and...

Postby corradobernardi » 16 Jul 2016, 04:12

Don't forget the GTX 1070 (like all the new cards) aren't really well optimized for DX11. that's why i'll buy a GTX 970 to upgrade my actual 6970.

my goal is to play with v-sync and triple buffering ON. (fixed 60 fps, card draw less power in where could run at 150 fps without v-sync) plus no tearing.

my actual 6970 can handle maxed details but no MSAA but is a damn oven.

JackOfOwls
Scavenger

Postby JackOfOwls » 16 Jul 2016, 10:26

Hmm. I didn't know that about the lack of DirectX11 optimizations for the Nvidia GTX 1080/1070 series. Thanks for the heads up. But I really needed to upgrade anyways. The game that made me make this decision was The Witcher 3 which absolutely brought my current GTX 660 Ti to its knees. I may end up getting a 980 Ti if I can get a $300-$325 USD price point on it. Still comparable to the 1070 except for the 6 GB of RAM rather than 8.

v1ld
Scavenger

Postby v1ld » 07 Aug 2016, 04:08

You're in luck, EVGA has $300-$320 980 Ti's in their B-stock catalog: http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductLis ... ies+Family

CoC is very well optimized if you use the enhanced DX9 renderer (R2.5). All you will lose is volumetric fog compared to DX10.5 or DX11. CoC does remove some of the annoyances of the later renderers compared to CS and CoP like the super slow load times, but they are just not as fast and you gain precious little in functionality.

My almost 4 year old 7970 (OCed to 1150MHz) can run CoC with most everything maxed out other than a conservative grass radius and not come close to maxing out the GPU. Afterburner shows it at about 75-80% GPU usage max.

Return to “General Discussion”