Suggestions Thread

MariusLecter
Scavenger

Re: Suggestions Thread

Postby MariusLecter » 21 Sep 2016, 13:49

Amaninter Axling wrote:Well, my take on it is that mercenaries would tend to be neutral by default with the Army as they'd want to avoid any official entanglements, disgression being a prime consideration of their job, ya'd think; although their activities when discovered in Pripyat during CoP might appear to run counter to that. One could go so far as to argue that they'd be fairly neutral to everyone unless paid to be hostile, except where they perceive random representative of faction whatever as a threat.

Military "generally" kills anyone in the zone that isn't authorized by the government to operate in the zone like the Ecologists. Cordon military PA "Trespassers in the zone will be shot on sight."

Duty is an exception due to their utility. Any other exceptions will be rare and be kept as part of a mission where the specific narrative calls for some grey area.

Mercenaries are not just trespassing in the zone but performing paramilitary operations for profit. Which even outside of the zone is grounds for shoot first, ask questions later.

Mercenaries are also not in the habit of being chummy chummy with other organized paramilitary factions. Factions like Freedom are first and foremost a threat, they don't have to be diametrically opposed like Duty and Freedom for there to be conflict.

Amaninter Axling
Scavenger

Postby Amaninter Axling » 21 Sep 2016, 15:33

You raise some interesting points, but I must confess that it's always bothered me how mercenaries are portrayed in the Stalker games. Contrary to popular opinion, security corporations will prefer to keep a low profile and grease the palms of local officials so that they can operate without being interfered with, or in fact be working for said local officials. This isn't always true but it tends to be the case. Although if you're unlucky enough to be told that next week you're going to be working in Dungholistan or the Undemocratic Republic of Magonkawiwi but don't worry, we've arranged private security to keep you safe, don't be surprised if instead of those well-armed Western PMCs in the glossy brochure you get spaced-out crab-faced locals who look like they'd rape you and slit your throat for your shoes, not necessarily in that order. This subcontracting to locals is done because it's a/ a lot cheaper, local thugs will work for bob-all compared to real mercs, it's basically a form of outsourcing so that head office keep more of the contractual profit, and b/ they don't always (and usually don't) have the available manpower on the ground that they originally promised the client when the suits signed the contract. Bit like call-centres but with Kalashnikovs and Land-Cruisers and very scary-looking people.

I appreciate that the Zone isn't like your normal civil war-ridden failed-state third world cesspit, but even so, and we are told this by Hog in CS, it would make sense for private military outfits to avoid direct confrontation with the authorities if possible, even though said authorities are supposed to be keeping Evil Zone under wraps. Yeah. How much does Lt. Valeri Wankov earn a year? Each merc's private dental scheme is probably worth way more than that. Here's some money, soldier boys, go and play somewhere else. I think that was the general thrust of Maj. Khalestkiy's rant when Valerian had him under lock and key.

I'm not really complaining, Mercs in the game are an excellent source of high-quality weaponry and ammunition as well as a wide range of ancillary goods and consumables, especially when other people shoot them for me. I just think that they should be a little less one-dimensional in terms of character.

Anyway I digress, I did actually have a suggestion. Instead of the usual bring me some supplies, get me a rifle, find my detector yawn jobs, what if any not-hostile-at-the-moment mercs that you encountered gave you an aspect of their job to do? They wouldn't necessarily be breaking operational security, just subbying it out for an expendable local to do and thus minimising risk. I might have a go at fiddling with that, I don't think that would be too hard to do. Oh yeah, MegaDefenceCorp Inc are paying us a cool mill to get mysterious and deadly artefact X from horrible mutant infested area Y but we might get our new suits and guns dirty and we didn't complete the health and safety forms in time, so we aren't insured, but you, hard-up Dmitri Z. Stalker looking for a job, as a temporary subcontractor on zero hours that won't apply to you so off you go and when you come back (snigger) we'll pay you with some shiny boolits and a few cans of tuna. By the way we'll need a receipt before you go so we can claim your reward back on expenses.

Another idea which I did in fact implement myself was Mercs advertising on the PDA when i created different channels for the various factions. Subby jobs like the above and also full-term contracts for the right applicants, medical care, dental, pension scheme and sharesave, performance bonus, paid leave. It's a good offer, with the downside of being shot or eaten or torn to shreds or worse, but anyone who's already in the Zone has to deal with that on a daily basis anyway.

sovereign
Scavenger

Postby sovereign » 25 Sep 2016, 05:50

Random initial artifact generation

Summary:
Random artifact generation on game start

Description:
Random artifact generation is already part of the game, but it suffers from the static game start, where artifact generation is not random, but static.
While it is true that only certain anomalies can have a limited set of artifacts, this does not prevent randomization within the same boundaries of emissions, where only a certain set of artifacts can appear in each type of anomaly.
Anomalies should differ in each game start. They could differ by having or not having artifacts, instead of a static state where they always contain or don't contain artifacts.
And if they contain artifacts, they can differ in regard to which artifact they contain, while preserving the already set limitations on artifact variety.

Why it is needed:
Stashes and crates are random and their contents (except for quest rewards) are randomly generated on game start. This is a particularly interesting and necessary feature for a second playthrough and for players who play Ironmode, where dying and starting anew is part of the general game experience. Randomization makes the player experience something new and prevents him from falling into boring patterns.

With experience, in the early game, the player knows which anomalies contain which artifacts, he knows whether he can detect them with his current detector or not and he knows sales prices of the contained artifacts.
Randomization of initial artifact generation would prevent the player from falling into patterns as a result of this knowledge.

Additional optional thoughts and customization:
- Keeping it in line with CoC 1.4's ways of manipulating key factors, like mutant population, I suggest that it is possible to set the probability for generation as well. One option should be the default initial artifact generation probability (17% I believe?), other values could include 30%,40%,50%, etc.

- Maybe in line with this a parameter, another parameter for general emission artifact generation probability could be implemented as well (or probably even better, both should exist as a single unified parameter).

- Another interesting thought for randomization would be to have random specific artifact generation probabilities within delimited boundries set on game start. For example for a bubble, between 0.3-3% where the probabilities would change on game start.

- Building on the previous idea, it would be an interesting concept to have specific artifact generation probabilities gradually and randomly change after each emission. For example, if the chance for a bubble to spawn within an anomaly can change within 0.3-3% and it is at 0.7% it could gradually go up or down, by a bit (maybe a range of values as well) for example by 0.1 percentage points to 0.6%/0.8%.
The more common artifacts' generation probabilities could fluctuate stronger.
This would possibly give the zone some more life of its own.

Thank you for your consideration.

_S_E_R_G_
Scavenger

Postby _S_E_R_G_ » 02 Oct 2016, 05:27

Hello!

Plz fix issues on Truck Cemetery
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alundaio
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby Alundaio » 02 Oct 2016, 18:05

lavandin25 10hours ago says:
Hi,firs of all,sry about my english...I just wanted to ask you is there any possibility to enable lights at yantar around bunker during the night? idk how much time you need for that,but I saw there is lights enabled in O.G.S.E for SoC,so I think that CoC engine support that option too... I think it would be awesome :) there are more places where you can enable it,like in rostok in duty checkpoint when you coming from garbage,in army warehouse and lots of other places...it's just a propose :)
"I have a dream that one day this community will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all mods are created equal."

Kaminaze
Scavenger

Postby Kaminaze » 03 Oct 2016, 15:54

Swap CS-3a and CS-3b's arm. Seriously, you can tell the fps arm model is incorrect by just dying.

Alundaio
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby Alundaio » 03 Oct 2016, 21:06

Kaminaze wrote:Swap CS-3a and CS-3b's arm. Seriously, you can tell the fps arm model is incorrect by just dying.

okay, calm down. :D
"I have a dream that one day this community will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all mods are created equal."

TheStewieOConnor
Scavenger

Postby TheStewieOConnor » 04 Oct 2016, 10:32

Hello. I have a proposition for you. You played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear sky? You could return to music on the bases of CS? I think it is very suitable, and what do you think? But I found it only on YouTube. Here is the music of CS:
1. Base on the single Cordon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOLpBEM-wAs
2. Base the clear sky in the Swamp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY725AQDLZg
3. Base bandits in the Dark Valley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_podzD4cSA
4. Base duty in the Rostok: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmtLUa81n7Q, also another option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxX1YqXsM8U
5. Base of freedom for the Army warehouses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFSD202Dj78

voroseeg
Scavenger

Postby voroseeg » 05 Oct 2016, 20:06

Three suggestions:
1) Fast travel. Absolutely needed in my opinion given the amount of maps we have, because the lack of it sometimes I don't even want to play thinking I have to spend dozens of minutes walking.
2) Money looting from corpses. There is already a mod that does this but having it integrated into the main mod would be great and less of a hassle than having to wait the modder to update it every patch if needed.
3) Disable enemies' ability to see through bushes. It's extremely annoying, even more with weapon packs that add powerful guns, to get 1 or 2-shot by any enemy from somewhere you can't possibly see.

Alundaio
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby Alundaio » 05 Oct 2016, 20:33

voroseeg wrote:Three suggestions:
1) Fast travel. Absolutely needed in my opinion given the amount of maps we have, because the lack of it sometimes I don't even want to play thinking I have to spend dozens of minutes walking.
2) Money looting from corpses. There is already a mod that does this but having it integrated into the main mod would be great and less of a hassle than having to wait the modder to update it every patch if needed.
3) Disable enemies' ability to see through bushes. It's extremely annoying, even more with weapon packs that add powerful guns, to get 1 or 2-shot by any enemy from somewhere you can't possibly see.

2. This is something I can say for sure will never happen.

voroseeg
Scavenger

Postby voroseeg » 05 Oct 2016, 21:37

Alundaio wrote:
voroseeg wrote:Three suggestions:

2. This is something I can say for sure will never happen.

Could you say why?

MariusLecter
Scavenger

Postby MariusLecter » 07 Oct 2016, 11:23

voroseeg wrote:
Alundaio wrote:
voroseeg wrote: Could you say why?

"There is already a mod that does this"

You are just asking the CoC devs to put more work into something that isn't a game breaking issue for what they are trying to accomplish with this game.

Darkenneko
Adventurer

Postby Darkenneko » 07 Oct 2016, 20:18

*Cough*
Add Scar's portrait to either Clear Sky/Mercs or all factions like Strelok.

Edit
To even further this, add the Major's portrait as well, to either military or all.

Would be nice to have all our protagonist present.

FoodStuffs
Scavenger

Postby FoodStuffs » 08 Oct 2016, 18:13

I bet this may have been suggested before but would it be possible to have a "Faction Warfare" option when you start a new game?

Basically what this would do would open up all the zones to be occupied/captured by any faction making the zone into a giant battlefield. There have already been a few mods like this and plenty of people enjoy this kind of gameplay. Personally I think it should be implemented into CoC.

SubbDogg
Scavenger

Postby SubbDogg » 08 Oct 2016, 19:35

FoodStuffs wrote:I bet this may have been suggested before but would it be possible to have a "Faction Warfare" option when you start a new game?

Basically what this would do would open up all the zones to be occupied/captured by any faction making the zone into a giant battlefield. There have already been a few mods like this and plenty of people enjoy this kind of gameplay. Personally I think it should be implemented into CoC.

On a basic level I guess it isn't that complicated to add, but as this is still a modders resource, a separately made mod, focusing on Faction Warfare will be a lot better, because it alters quite a lot, essentially making it less of a modders resources and more into an actual mod. Besides, Warfare's dev will be starting to work on the version for 1.4 release soon, if he already hasn't.

FoodStuffs
Scavenger

Postby FoodStuffs » 11 Oct 2016, 00:49

I guess that is true. I'd do it myself if I had the time but I simply don't

SubbDogg
Scavenger

Postby SubbDogg » 11 Oct 2016, 02:22

You can check for Warfare mod on ModDB, it's will be released in a day or two.

FoodStuffs
Scavenger

Postby FoodStuffs » 12 Oct 2016, 01:55

Oh I see werejew is on it. The comments on Moddb are messed up... why show the oldest first? Cool to know someone is fixing the best mod for CoC.

AndiWandi
Scavenger

Postby AndiWandi » 20 Oct 2016, 16:39

Is there any possibility we can get a level changer often used in SoC mods, connecting Yantar in the North outside the facility and Army Warehouses west of Bloodsucker Village?

This would also enable all factions to avoid traversing through bar and aggravating a possibly hostile Duty faction.

Alundaio
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby Alundaio » 27 Oct 2016, 02:13

Stokker 44mins ago
You have all done very well and continue to do so. Your hobby is a great source of fun and enjoyment for many people, and it will continue to be so for a long time. With that said, I have some suggestions if you don't mind.

Allow us to tag neutral stalkers in our PDA. This will make it easier to keep track of them if we want to befriend a specific squad. This could be done by initiating dialog with them. At first, they won't trust you, but if you accomplish any kind of task for them, they will allow you to tag them. To prevent minimap clutter, allow an option (a checkbox perhaps) to show/hide Stalker tags. Mouse hover-over would pop up an infobox of the squad leader, similar to the leaderboards, with their rank, reputation etc.

Return to “General Discussion”