Suggestions Thread

Modder-G
Scavenger

Re: Suggestions Thread

Postby Modder-G » 11 Aug 2017, 19:54

Etiher way, thank you very much for considering! I am sure you can find a good middle ground.

sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE
Scavenger

Postby sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE » 16 Aug 2017, 09:48

My suggestion would be to add support for a stand alone menu for mods and their settings.

Pretty much the same way you have the Main Menu -> Options -> Game working in axr_main_options.script.
Where the addon/mod author can add their own dedicated tab/page of settings without editing any vanilla CoC files.

Add support for an easy to use slider control, text input and any other basic controls (like the already easy to use Checkbox and List controls).

The way it is atm the Game options gets flooded with everyone's addon settings along with all the vanilla settings.

A mod settings menu similar to the user made MCM (Mod Configuration Menu) in Fallout NV / Skyrim would be nice.
It would also maybe encourage authors to offer better configuration options instead of hard coded personal preferences.

Lateee
Scavenger

Postby Lateee » 19 Aug 2017, 19:02

I don't understand why these exits from Agroprom Underground (marked red https://i.imgur.com/AtVOR49.jpg) were changed in such a strange way in which they are right now. I suggest adding Hermit (trader that was in the closest to me marked exit), because there is no trader for you in Agroprom if you are enemies with Duty and bringing back those exits to how they were in Clear Sky. I obviously don't know how to mod and it's probably really hard to take that trader from Clear Sky and put him into CoC.

vorador1980
Scavenger

Postby vorador1980 » 01 Sep 2017, 12:57

Dear Sirs,

CoC is a huge mod, offering both story and free play to all Stalker`s theme maps, that makes it irreplaceable. I`m playing CoC 1.5 from the day of its release and I`m truly impressed from your skills and dedication, implemented into your epic mod. So instead to spend the weekend describing all the good features, I`d like to make a few suggestions, if you allow me. Based only on my personal experience in a clear game, r4 with only graphic add-ons. Only humble suggestions, it is not a critique. Please, excuse me, if I`m repeating someone else, by accident.

1. A little change of the weapon damage. 5.56x45 is the most powerful caliber in CoC. The difference is to such a degree, that makes all other calibers obsolete and the player just starts to use only it. To shoot every enemy with more 9x39 bullets and less 5.56x45 is ... well ... strange. Extensively tested against Mercenaries in Wild Territories, Freedom at Army Warehouse, Loners, Bandits and occasionaly Monolith;

2. A little change of the bulletproof or Armor value. The Exo currently is little more than huge inventory bag with just the same armor upgrades as lower grade armors. It just don`t provide enough for its value, while it was supposed to be the pinnacle of the personal protection. While its anomaly protection has been considerably boosted, its fighting capacity is lessened more or less down to a Seva suit. Bulat and PSZ are just identical. Possible solution: replacing the insignificant anomaly and energy upgrades with armor ones;

3. A bit more durability is needed, both for weapons and armors at higher spawn rate. Spawn rate can be set from 0.5 to 1.5, which mean a lot more enemies to fight with on the same map. With stalker spawn at 1.5 and mutants at 0.5 a single sweep of Garbadge degrades 2 weapons from 100% durability to 60 - 70%. The gunsmith kits offers repair up to 75% which is hardly playable with the regular jamming of any weapon (a way too often). From the other side, kits for 100% repair could do the work too;

4. More dangerous anomalies will be a reason to purchase a suit for artefact hunting like NBC, Seva (heavy Seva) or RadSuit. Currently, only the fire anomalies can`t be looted with Leather Jacket, speed and a medikit or twos;

5. Making all faction traders and mechanics "neutral" (like Sidorovich) will be of great help. Or it could make the game a lot easier? All the unique weapons and the only low-cost Exo are out of the reach of the military ... I mean of the reach of any faction, enemy of the Loners ("Tide, dear Tide ..."). Unless such difficulty is intended, of course.

6. The Gauss Rifle deserves its main letters, for it is like an anti-material rifle, but it seems too powerful for me. My first intention was to suggest removing it from the game. But if it could be used only from the Monolith members, it will be entirely different matter.

7. After I saw and tried Original Weapon Extention official add-on, it was, and still is, very hard to play with vanila CoC weapons. It is almost completely 1.5 compatible! It just needs to count the armor rating (as if the PC and NPC-s armors doesn`t exist at all in battle) and a small fix for the accuracy (0% bonus) upgrades! It is almlost ready to play with 1.5! Testing after Installing it over the clear 1.5 it seems that 9x39 are more powerful than 5.56x45 even as it is!

Thank you very much for your time and efforts. I`m looking forward to hearing from you.

Yours Faithfully
Vorador1980
Last edited by vorador1980 on 01 Sep 2017, 14:33, edited 3 times in total.

Balathruin
Scavenger

Postby Balathruin » 01 Sep 2017, 13:37

vorador1980 wrote:1. A little change of the weapon damage. 5.56x45 is the most powerful caliber in CoC. The difference is to such a degree, that makes all other calibers obsolete and the player just starts to use only it. To shoot every enemy with more 9x39 bullets and less 5.56x45 is ... well ... strange. Extensively tested against Mercenaries in Wild Territories, Freedom at Army Warehouse, Loners, Bandits and occasionaly Monolith;

NPC immunity and armor values were changed, 9x39 is better than 5.56. However, 9x39 is subsonic, so it's not much more powerful than the high speed and range 5.56 ammunition.

vorador1980 wrote:2. A little change of the bulletproof or Armor value. The Exo currently is little more than huge inventory bag with just the same armor upgrades as lower grade armors. It just don`t provide enough for its value, while it was supposed to be the pinnacle of the personal protection. While its anomaly protection has been considerably boosted, its fighting capacity is lessened more or less down to a Seva suit. Bulat and PSZ are just inentical. Possible solution: replacing the insignificant anomaly and energy upgrades with armor ones;

The base stat of the Exo is high enough that armor upgrades don't do anything. Go for impenetrable upgrades instead to lower overall physical damage taken.

vorador1980 wrote:3. A bit more durability is needed, both for weapons and armors at higher spawn rate. Spawn rate can be set from 0.5 to 1.5, which mean a lot more enemies to fight with on the same map. With stalker spawn at 1.5 and mutants at 0.5 a single sweep of Garbadge degrades 2 weapons from 100% durability to 60 - 70%. The gunsmith kits offers repair up to 75% which is hardly playable with the regular jamming of any weapon (a way too often). From the other side, kits for 100% repair could do the work too;

I think weapon durability was increased a bit. I agree with this, but I'd go for weapon heat function instead.
Outfit durability was changed too, but not to make it more durable. I'll test it later to see what's up with current values.

vorador1980 wrote:4. More dangerous anomalies will be a reason to purchase a suit for artefact hunting like NBC, Seva (heavy Seva) or RadSuit. Currently, only the fire anomalies can`t be looted with Leather Jacket, speed and a medikits;

Medkits were nerfed, but anomaly damage is very low in the game. I don't think the latter will change.

vorador1980
Scavenger

Postby vorador1980 » 02 Sep 2017, 04:01

Thank you kindly for your reply, Sir. I do understand your reasons and I thank you for all you`ve done. I will follow your reccomendation for the armor upgrades.

Sincerely yours
V.

-HUN-Riot_Gin
Scavenger

Postby -HUN-Riot_Gin » 03 Sep 2017, 06:07

I created a new Loner NPC:
http://imgur.com/a/sFnOm

So, it's worth to put in to the COC? :D

Steve2000
Scavenger

Postby Steve2000 » 05 Sep 2017, 05:46

Just a few suggestions for the game...

1. Would it be possible to change the release structure? for example, you have to download COC v1.3003 and then update it with 1.4.12 and then update it with the COC 1.4.22 patch. this is a lot of downloading and patching considering COP needs to be installed to play.
Would it be better to simply release a latest (and fully updated version as well as each patch?
This way people only need one simple download instead of multiple downloads. the same goes for the SDK for new modders taking up modding.
I woundered if it would be possible to upload the mod to Moddb by its release date? that way everyone knows the lastest release by the date it was uplaoded. for example, "COC 1.4.22 combined download 05/09/17"

2. How about caches to the vehicles? That way they can be used for looting.

3. Rebalance of repair prices? I think repairing a weapon should cost half the amount of new ones. It also affects the economy to reflect real world prices. There is no real incentive to repiar weapons, but this is the zone. Generally repairing a weapon for a profit would be big business in any disaster zone. And I think this dynamic should be added.

4. same with damaged weapons. not many soliders would be allowed to go on partol with a damaged weapon. even if the weapons are damaged, I feel other NPC's should be allowed to buy damaged weapons at a significantly lower price.

5. Purchase of vehicles. Many people compalin about the use of vehicles in the game, but the map is not the small original size as it used to be. Its now huge, with 32 locations, and travelling from one side of the map to another can take a long time! I eel an option should be given by traders to purchase a vehicle. this way it is ENTIRELY optional. if you dont like vehicles. dont buy them! Many people have awaited the use of vehicles due to the size of the game world.

6. Theres are still ocassional issues with trucks cemetary. particularly ith the size of the map. Perhaps it would be sensible to reduce its size a little?

7. AMK artefact modifications. Everyone loved this mod. it made things so much easier in the game, and I think it has a strong demand from other Stalker players.

8. MOre wepaons! No one ever says no to more weapons choices! How about a combined AO3 and STCOP mod? There are over 250+ weapons made for stalker, and I see no reason why they should not be added. more weapons means more fun whislt playing

9. SDK. I find the SDK a cumbersome and difficult application to use. Alundios AXR Tools is a god send for most modders, but sometimes you have no alternative but to fire up the SDK. If anyone could make this happen, it would be the Epic team.

10. Stealth. Stealth has alsway been a problem in Stalker, but it can be done right. Its true that with stealth settings, NPCs can be "bird-shotted" but then again, you can do that in real life. Generally the first NPC can be shot, but once all other enemy NPCs know about, they can return fire with a sniper rifle.

11. Teleporter... once again due to the size of the game. I think the best approach is to have the portable teleporter deny access to maps you have never been before. this way it avoid conflicts with storybased mods. I know in other gaames, teleporting to a new map can mess up the mission scripts. but of course it can have restrictions in place to avoid this. and of course it can be a purchsable item from sakarov.

12. Anomalie dectors and organic detectors. I have seen these in other games as devices. they would work well as purchasable items... probably from Sakarov.

13. More maps.. No one will ever say no to playing on more maps. I understand it will increase the download size, but I cant help but want more!!!
There are mods from the other games that I have never played as you cannot enter the new maps imediatly. one that springs to mind is Facility F1. I always wanted to play this map and blow a few mercs or Monolith.

14. Modding tools. I love the AXR toolset. I have used it so many times. but I came across a problem whilst trying to modify another new weapon.
The entries to the model had so many meshes that the program could not display all the paths.
Screenshot here....
I needed to scroll down the window to accept the changes, but couldn't. I admit this is a rare problem, but I gave up trying to modify this weapon because of it. and the SDK was also giving me multiple problems.

15. Modding again, but this time a tutorial. If I add a new gun to my game, I canot make an icon for it easily.

16. Some revolutionary gauss guns perhaps?
http://www.monkeymods.com/wp-content/up ... lout-4.jpg

17. And maybe some aditional addon for the weapons.. like a granade launcher for the GP37?
https://gamebanana.com/skins/21767

18. as for modding... wouldnt it be easier to have all the weapons files in one place? Whereby modders caan simply add weapons by placing all the files in the weapons folder. For example, to add an AR15 to the game, you simply add the AR15.ltx, AR15.ogf and AR15.dds to the same weapons/AR15 folder? I think this structure would be far easier if you could just drag and drop the weapons files to one place and add it to the weapons.ltx file? I'm not sure how that would work with the ui_icons files however.

19. I had an epic 3minute battle with 62 enemy NPC's in the wafare mod. the engine held up to some severe stress... but I really needed a minigun... can we have one?

20. How about en-mass transfers? Sometime when you have a lot of items, say a collection of 200 vogs, its very time consuming to tranfer them all to a trader. I seen a script for Fallout once, where the player holds down the shift key whilst transfering. This set the transfer number to 999 or something. I wonder if that could be added to COC?

21. Traders... there is a slight lack of traders in the game. it can take a long time to get to each one. perhaps a trader of sorts on each map would be a good idea, or perhaps each map would be overkill, but I think we need more of them in general.

Alundaio
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby Alundaio » 05 Sep 2017, 19:23

Steve2000 wrote:Just a few suggestions for the game...

1. Would it be possible to change the release structure? for example, you have to download COC v1.3003 and then update it with 1.4.12 and then update it with the COC 1.4.22 patch. this is a lot of downloading and patching considering COP needs to be installed to play.
Would it be better to simply release a latest (and fully updated version as well as each patch?
This way people only need one simple download instead of multiple downloads. the same goes for the SDK for new modders taking up modding.
I woundered if it would be possible to upload the mod to Moddb by its release date? that way everyone knows the lastest release by the date it was uplaoded. for example, "COC 1.4.22 combined download 05/09/17"

I think you might be confused, there is no such thing as CoC v.1.3003, that is Lost Alpha. For CoC, It's always been two downloads. The full install and then later an incremental patch. You only need 1.4.12 [full release] and 1.4.22 [patch]. SDK is huge (11 GB), that is an incredible amount to reupload just for changes to editors\rawdata\levels. CoC's versioning: major.minor.patch

20. How about en-mass transfers? Sometime when you have a lot of items, say a collection of 200 vogs, its very time consuming to tranfer them all to a trader. I seen a script for Fallout once, where the player holds down the shift key whilst transfering. This set the transfer number to 999 or something. I wonder if that could be added to COC?

It was added to 1.5 that you can ctrl+double-click a stack to move it all
"I have a dream that one day this community will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all mods are created equal."

lived
Scavenger

Postby lived » 06 Sep 2017, 12:03

Someone else wrote here on the forum the prypiat camps is empty.
Can you put it there trader and mechanic, plus some stalkers.

Steve2000
Scavenger

Postby Steve2000 » 06 Sep 2017, 20:53

Alundaio wrote:
Steve2000 wrote:Just a few suggestions for the game...

1. Would it be possible to change the release structure? "

I think you might be confused, there is no such thing as CoC v.1.3003, that is Lost Alpha. For CoC, It's always been two downloads. The full install and then later an incremental patch. You only need 1.4.12 [full release] and 1.4.22 [patch]. SDK is huge (11 GB), that is an incredible amount to reupload just for changes to editors\rawdata\levels. CoC's versioning: major.minor.patch

Erm....woops! I have all the lastest downloads.. and yes.. re-uploading 11gb is un-realistic.

20. How about en-mass transfers?

It was added to 1.5 that you can ctrl+double-click a stack to move it all[/quote]

WOW!!!! Your the first guy to do that!!! I will am far more inclinded to make mods for COC now... all the other games are simply outdated!!!

DoctorX
Scavenger

Postby DoctorX » 18 Sep 2017, 03:21

Request to re-buff the helicopters.

Not in armor, but in aggressiveness. I remember way back when the helos were something to be feared. When you heard it coming it was a mad dash for cover or else it would tear you to pieces. I thought that was a lot of fun, added to the fear factor and challenge, and gave a reason to want to shoot it down.

Seems like over time they have become much more tame, to the point now where they are basically just ambience. I can't remember the last time I was engaged by a helo. They don't even seem to support the military anymore.

Uliss88
Scavenger

Postby Uliss88 » 23 Sep 2017, 10:27

Can you clean audio records about Lenin at the location of Rostok? It's like if you installed there audio recordings of Hitler's speeches!

Thumba-umba
Scavenger

Postby Thumba-umba » 26 Sep 2017, 13:16

So, i see that the team have included assets from Outfit Addon into the new 1.5 version. While i don't have anything personally against the author of that mod (i really do not know him at all), i am going to argue against the inclusion of that content into the game; with the reason being the redundancy if said content at best, and bland pointlessnesss at worst. To clarify my statement, i am goint to present my arguments towards individual outfits and groups of outfits.

As it goes, i will also throw a few ideas and suggestions into the mix.

Clear sky

Spoiler:
CS'Sunrise

I could theoretically understand the logic behind it's existence - although i would argue that it is not necessarily valid - but CS already has 5 suits. Five suits, which by the way cover the entire range all the way to top tier gear. In practical terms, CS Sunrise will invariably have very similar performance to that of either CS-1b, or CS-2 suit, making it completely redundant.

So, the argument to it's defence: Some might suggest that CS may simply not be in a capacity to fully supply their members with internally-produced gear. Well, admit it: most of the gear that CS has, are just various generic-pattern armour vests and tactical rigs thrown onto camouflaged battle dresses. It sounds dubious to me for someone to say that redyeing a uniform to a different camouflage pattern will require significantly less time, effort and money, than just grabbing first rig you see and buying a battle dress with a right camo out of the box.

CS NBC suit

...is just a CS Sunrise suit with a chest rig and a gasmask permanently affixed. By the way gets a boost of protection over a normal Sun+gasmask combo for no apparent reason. The rest is the same as for the CS Sunrise.

CS' SEVA an Exo outfits

So, that kind of brings me back to the question of the CS' Sunrise: the hobos of the zone, who basically sit within a literal pisshole of the Zone, don't have any serious financial backing, lost their cause, and are so broke that they have to buy stalker's suits because they can't equip everyone in the faction with their own appropriate gear, suddenly get money to buy SEVAs and Exoskeletons. Ri-i-i-i-ight.

I would argue that even CS-3a and CS-3b outfits should be very rare among their ranks, because they have lost all their heavy equipmant back in 2011 and were not able to make many more ever since. Giving them access to Exoskeleton is way too far.

My main objection, however, lies not on the logical side of things: it's simply the design. The clear sky faction was from the ground up designed to be different. This is the main idea about them, they were supposed to be the poster boys of the STCS. The devs, for that reason, could not simply recycle same models and just retexure them as they did with all the factions in the first game; so they went on and actually made brand new visuals. Granted those visuals are mostly generic tacticool crap one can find in any modern FPS - but they still made a whole new set of visuals - specifically to showcase this new faction. Bluntly adding recycled stalker outfits not only oversaturates Clear Sky faction with outfit options, but, most importantly, dillutes the sence of specialty that faction had due to their unique visuals.

Also CS scientific suit has an icon of redyed SEVA suit, but actor visual is a redyed Monolith suit with Zaslon helmet (screen helmet) and rebreather unit affixed.

On the other hand there are no CS helmets, strangely. I know that the icon for steel helmet in CoP is made after CS-3a helmet, but it is significantly nerfed and does not have gasmask as CS-3a did.
So, what about CS2 helmet, and a CS-3a helmet? (CS-3b heavy suit used the same model of helmet as CS2, only with changed texture and ever so slightly different visor design)

Freedom and Duty

Spoiler:
Here i dont really have any major points to voice, except for the Duty's and Freeedom's scientific suits, which are essentially the standart-issue duty/freedom suits with just Zaslon helmets (screen helmets) equipped. Which for no apparent reason grants them vastly different protection patterns even in terms of physical protection?

Of course, i should point out first that duty/freedom standart outfits are themselves repainted copies of the SEVA with Zaslon helmet (screen helmet) removed - and have vastly different protection patterns for no apparent reason.

Neutrals

Spoiler:
The NBC suit

...is just a Sunrise suit with a chest rig and a gasmask permanently affixed. Again gets a boost of protection over a normal Sun+gasmask combo for no reason.

Heavy SEVA

Well, i don't see any reason for it to not exist, just seems hard to balance. It really looks like the kind of armour that people make by looking at them like "hey, this has very nice X, but poor Y, so what if i bump Y?" Which by definition produces either intensely OP suits or (if nerfed) the ones that are kind of mediocre across the board and hard to make interesting to the player.

Gopniki

Spoiler:
Bandit Berill

A bandit Berill? Well, i guess it's fine. But by that logic why not any other stolen gear? Why not a stolen Sunrise? Or a stolen Scientific suit? SoC actually had a bandit in a stolen sunrise, pretending to be wounded in order to gopstop the unwary stalker. In that sense stolen Sunrise is more lore-friendly, actually.

But again, by that logic bandits are wild scavengers who would put on anything they could find. It would be futile to try and give all the costumes an alternative variant with bandit insignia. Easier to just give bandits some alternative visuals straight from other factions - for extra surprises.

Armoured strongcoat

That's actually cool. Thumbs up fot the strongcoat.

Bandit Exosuit

Here again, as much as with CS, i just don't feel that bandits shoud have their own version of exoskeleton.
Also it has a horrible texture - someone poorly rolled a monolith suit type of texsure over an exo's front texture, and did not even bother to delete the old bump map.

I wonder if it would be a nice compromise to give bandits a Sunrise exosuit?

Scientists

Spoiler:
SSP-99/SSP-99M series.

In general, SSP-99M is rather difficult to balance. SSP-99 is clear scientific suit with high anomaly protection, but poor physical protection. So if you make an upgrade to it, what do you do? Logically the upgraded version has to have improved physical protection; but then you immediately run into issue of it becoming a copy of SEVA suit, which is also about good anomaly protection, and mediocre physical stats. This is why both SEVA and SSP-99M made each other redundant in SoC and i suspect is why it was cut from CoP.

So here is what i think:
You have added two extra visuals for SSP-99 - the white and the blue. What if you are to remove SSP-99M completely and split SSP-99 into a whole series of specialised suits - each specifically trimmed for maximum possible protection from a specific element?
Such as:
SSP-99-1 (Green) - chemical protection;
SSP-99-2 (Red) - thermal protection;
SSP-99-3 (Blue) - electrocution protection;
SSP-99-4 (White) - radioprotection.

Monolith

Spoiler:
Monolith scientific suit is a standart Monolith suit with Zaslon helmet (screen helmet) affixed.

Monolith NBC suit is a standart Monolith suit with gasmask affixed.

Mercenary

Spoiler:
Merc scientific suit has an icon of redyed SEVA suit, but actor visual is a redyed Monolith suit with Zaslon helmet (screen helmet) and rebreather unit affixed.

Such also goes against the game lore, since in both SoC and CS mercs had their scientific suits in form of redyed SEVA suits. But it's not a big deal.

Military

Spoiler:
Nothing, really. Except maybe one specific helmet that was present in early builds of SoC, worn by military NPCs in Berill armor suits. It looked very much alike to the later Sphere M8 Berill helmet, but had these cool hi-tech looking glasses with integrated heads-up display.

SEVAs and integrated suits in general

Spoiler:
Now, i know that this will go against the lore, but i will still voice that suggestion.
What if remove all integrated helmets on suits?
Such as all of the SEVA-based suits (Duty scientific suit, Freedom scientific suit, Merc scientific suit) Radsuits and Exosuits.

With backpack slot now available, is is technically possible to recreate ingame breathing units (oxygen balloons fron stalker suits, small rebreather unit from SEVA suit and large rebreather unit from SSP-99 suit), which, when worn together with respirator, gasmask or screen helmet, will increase their efficacy.
Thus players can recreate full SEVA suit by combining the right equipment.

I suggest that this will increase gear's flexibility and also will allow for cutting down the number of outfits thus simplifying outfit balance.

ISG suit

Spoiler:
ISG suits were used in alpha/beta build 3120 of Clear Sky in the scene where some stalker squad is approaching generators. The scene was very basic and unfinished, so it's hard to understand much from it. Some say it was WIP on one of the endings, but it is also highly likely that this was actually the early version of the intro scene, where Scar would lead a group of UN-backed scientists to the Generators - the very heart of the zone - for research work. Then they would be detected by C-Counsciousness, prompting first BIg Blowout. It was supposed to have a little bit of interactive gameplay, of which sort - is unknown.

Later the scene was abandoned and replaced with cinematic inrto about "normal" scientists.

Given the very early alpha nature of the scene, i would suggest that these outfits were simply placeholders, made out of Monolith suit for the sake of resource conservation, and real ISG suits would have been significantly different from any stalker suit seen in the first game, had this idea survived.

All that said, may it be wise to remove the isg suit or make them an alternative visual for Monolith suit?

Naming

Spoiler:
I see there is still a bit of confusion on outfit/gear names.

I have seen the Alundaio's post about him been distracted by different people saying contradictory things on CS outfits. Well, i will simply say this.

The people who say that the naming of CS outfits in English localised version is right, are simply wrong. They technically don't have names inside configs, called simply Легкий костюм ЧН (light CS suit in English) and Тяжелый костюм ЧН (heavy CS suit). Hovewer, in both Russian and Ukrainian versions of the game they are, and always were, called: light - ЧН-1 (CS-1) and heavy - ЧН-3а (CS-3a). It is unknown why they called the heavy one ЧН-3а, and if the heaviest one was supposed to be called ЧН-3б (CS-3b) or ЧН-4 (CS-4) before it was cut. It is also unknown to me why localising team have attempted to fix what was not broken, but this is fact: the naming of CS suits in English version is erroneously reversed.

The SEVA helmet (called in english screen helmet) that appeared in CoP, is also erroeously translated. In russian it is called шлем "Заслон" (transliterated as "Zaslon"). The word Заслон can indeed be translated into english as "screen". However, what localisers forgot about, was that "Заслон" in that particular case is a proper noun, thus it preferably should not be translated but only transliterated. The right name for this helmet is "Zaslon helmet"

Next one is on the part of the developers themselves. Vanilla CoP originally has three military type helmets: steel helmet (gutted and nerfed CS-3a helmet), Sphere M12 helmet (the one from SKAT-9 and SKAT-9M milsuits), and "Tactical helmet". But if you examine closely, this "tactical helmet' is actually a helmet from Berill-5M suit, with mercsuit gasmask added on. You may not recognise it from SoC, because back then it had a different appearance - instead of a gasmask there were just ballistic glasses. The real name for this helmet can be learned from original description of Berill-5M in SoC. It is called Sphere-08 (or Sphere-M8 if you wish).

And finally the radsuit. While i am not against the name itself, i again have no idea on where did that come from. In Russian it was always called just "Тяжелый бронекостюм" - which is "Heavy armor suit" in English. But again, not a big deal.
Last edited by Thumba-umba on 28 Sep 2017, 15:19, edited 4 times in total.

vorador1980
Scavenger

Postby vorador1980 » 26 Sep 2017, 15:29

DoctorX wrote:Request to re-buff the helicopters.

Not in armor, but in aggressiveness. I remember way back when the helos were something to be feared. When you heard it coming it was a mad dash for cover or else it would tear you to pieces. I thought that was a lot of fun, added to the fear factor and challenge, and gave a reason to want to shoot it down.

Seems like over time they have become much more tame, to the point now where they are basically just ambience. I can't remember the last time I was engaged by a helo. They don't even seem to support the military anymore.

I support the suggestion. A whole week of gameplay and not once, not even once a single helicopter do anything but noise in the Zone. They attacks no one, they defends no one. They just stands there as decoration. I`m playing as Military stalker and found no use of them. Please, help.

Thumba-umba
Scavenger

Postby Thumba-umba » 26 Sep 2017, 16:14

I think i have - maybe - some suggestion on ingame damage calculation.

So, if understand correctly, the current algorhytm goes as following:

___IF
___k_ap > BoneArmor
___THEN
______IF
______(k_ap - BoneArmor) / k_ap > hit_fraction
______THEN
______hit = hit_power * k_hit * (k_ap - BoneArmor) / k_ap * BoneScale
______ELSE
______hit = hit_power * k_hit * BoneScale * hit_fraction
___ELSE
___hit = hit_power * k_hit * BoneScale * hit_fraction
___END

Now, i know this is not real syntax, and it is not meant to be: it's just the base algorytm.

Now, how about this:

___IF
___k_ap > BoneArmor + k_ap * hit_fraction
___THEN
___hit = hit_power * k_hit * (k_ap - BoneArmor) / k_ap * BoneScale
___ELSE
___hit = hit_power * k_hit * BoneScale * hit_fraction
___END
Last edited by Thumba-umba on 26 Sep 2017, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

Balathruin
Scavenger

Postby Balathruin » 26 Sep 2017, 16:25

Thumba-umba wrote:I think i have - maybe - some suggestion on ingame damage calculation.

It won't be changed. Damage is already realistic enough. If there are huge issues with it all that can be done is redoing all of it AGAIN the Misery way (huge bleeding wounds that heal in moments).

Thumba-umba
Scavenger

Postby Thumba-umba » 26 Sep 2017, 16:36

Balathruin wrote:
Thumba-umba wrote:I think i have - maybe - some suggestion on ingame damage calculation.

It won't be changed. Damage is already realistic enough. If there are huge issues with it all that can be done is redoing all of it AGAIN the Misery way (huge bleeding wounds that heal in moments).

My suggestion is not to change the damage calculation algorytm, but to optimize it. If you look closely, i simply suggest on unifying two IF checks into one. Maybe it will save some CPU time, maybe it wont, i don't now. It's just what came around my head.

Thumba-umba
Scavenger

Postby Thumba-umba » 27 Sep 2017, 09:28

Balathruin wrote:It won't be changed. Damage is already realistic enough. If there are huge issues with it all that can be done is redoing all of it AGAIN the Misery way (huge bleeding wounds that heal in moments).

By the way, there is a problem with damage model, specifically that the game does not reward the use of AP rounds as much as it could and should.

Simply put, you don't deal increased damage as soon as you penetrate the armour. In order to deal increased damage your armour penetration has to be more than armour / (1 - hit fraction). Which leads to some rounds becoming next to useless in practice.
Such as the 5,56/5,45 ap, for instance:

k_ap for both is set to 0.65. Heaviest armour the NPCs can have, has armour value set to 0.6. Hit_fraction is mostly set to 0.25. Technically, you are able to penetrate this armour, but in practice it makes no difference, because to deal increased damage, your penetration has to be more than 0.6+0.25*0.65=0.6+0.1625=0.7625. So, as a result, you won't deal any more damage to the adversary, even though your bullets have passed through armour.

For reference, FMJ 5,45/5,56 rounds have k_ap set to 0.45, so they will obviously not penetrate through that armour (0.45>0.6).

Okay, maybe it makes a difference in penetrating less advanced armour? Let's step down a notch, tp a medium armour. The previous class of armour is 0.3 with a hit_fraction being 0.4. Both 5,45/5,56 FMJ and 5,45/5,56 AP will obviously penetrate through this armour (0.45>0.3 and 0.65>0.3 as well) but what about damage?

For an FMJ round the calculation will be:
d=(k_ap-armour)/k_ap=(0.45-0.3)/0.45=0.3333...
Then compare the result with a hit_fraction:
0.3333 < 0.4, so damage = hit*hit_fraction = 40% of base weapon damage.

Now for an AP round:
d=(k_ap-armour)/k_ap=(0.65-0.3)/0.45=0.5384...
Again compare the result with a hit_fraction:
0.5824 > 0.4, so damage is calculated as hit*d=58,24% of base weapon damage.

Do the same math ot the light armour (armour=0.1 hit_fraction~0.6) and you will get 77,7% base damage for 5.45/5.56 FMJ and 84,6% base damage for 5.45/5,56 AP.

At which point you start to think: do i really care? Performance increase is not great at all, and these AP rounds generally cost more, significantly so. And if you are to just make them cheaper, then it would make even less sense.

Another issue is the very nature ofthe formula: (k_ap-armour)/k_ap effectively means that to deal 50% of base damage, you need k_ap of the round to be twice as high as the armour value of the target. Three times as high to retain 66% base damage. Four times as high for 75% base damage. Ten times as high to get 90% of the damage. You get the idea, right?

Combined with the fact that hit_fraction is about 0.4-0.5 for the most part - meaning that NPCs recieve no less than 40-50% of damage anyway your k_ap values have to be just HUGE to make difference between penetrating and non-penetrating bullets significant.

Kolaris
Scavenger

Postby Kolaris » 27 Sep 2017, 17:54

I have to agree with Thumba about the Outfit Addon inclusion. I, like a lot of users, added OA soon after I picked up CoC thinking that "more is better". But after playing with it for a while I'm not so sure. I'm not saying it's all bad, and there's definitely some things I would miss, but there's a lot of overlap with vanilla outfits. Look at gas masks, where you now have the vanilla Gask Mask, the vanilla Respirator, a new Half Respirator, and the GP-5. They're all in a similar price range and widely available, but the new versions outclass the old.

In particular I'm interested in the idea of removing integrated helmets. Well, or adding them to suits that lack them, but either way finding consistency. Especially now that you can view your suit in third person.

Return to “General Discussion”