Offline squad movement through level changers

carperbr
Scavenger

Offline squad movement through level changers

Postby carperbr » 19 Oct 2015, 23:55

Hey guys. Recently I noticed that squads don't seem to move through level changers when they are offline (they were moving to a linked level so they wouldn't be disabled on the other side). I'm currently working on a faction war mod that works the same way as the Clear Sky Faction War mod (I wanted a slightly different feel than offered with the faction control currently, though I suppose I could probably make it work if I modified it enough rather than writing my own system altogether), and everything is working well other than me needing to clean up my offline combat simulator (which is simple enough) and moving offline squads through level changers.

Perhaps I'm just impatient, but I had an army squad attempting to travel to the garage from esc_smart_terrain_5_2 for quite a while, and a squad was trying to get from darkscape to cordon for a long time as well. I tried looking through the scripts using the command prompt with findstr looking for specific keywords, but haven't really been able to find much.

Is this something where I'll have to modify open xray? I'm not exactly against that though I feel like that'd harm compatibility quite a bit. If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it!

Edit: Hmm, it appears the darkscape squad went through the level changer when I was in cordon, so it wasn't online. I suppose I was just impatient. Perhaps it takes longer when they are offline? Either way, sorry!

Alundaio
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Re: Offline squad movement through level changers

Postby Alundaio » 20 Oct 2015, 00:33

Squads move between linked graph points, not level changers. There is a scripted system in place to disable squad and smart terrain updates on levels the actor is not on which is dictated by gamedata\configs\ai_tweaks\simulation_objects.ltx.

However, there is an engine bug where squads get stuck at graph points, but it seems rare. I don't know why or what causes it. Also, updates are rather slow for offline alife when there is a lot, you can try changing the settings in alife.ltx to speed up level transitioning and how many offline objects can update per tick.
"I have a dream that one day this community will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all mods are created equal."

carperbr
Scavenger

Re: Offline squad movement through level changers

Postby carperbr » 20 Oct 2015, 00:43

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to test out editing the alife.ltx file, as it seems I was just impatient.

Edit: Yeah, i'm fairly confident I was impatient and I find it somewhat unlikely that it was a bug. Update times were longer than I was expecting, and on a couple of tests they went through the swamps instead of through garbages southern entrance like I was expecting. Everything seems to be working as expected now.

Return to “General Discussion”