Ideas for future updates

Renay
Scavenger

Ideas for future updates

Postby Renay » 15 Oct 2015, 17:46

Hey, I came up with a couple of ideas that would improve the mod in my opinion. Posted the same stuff in my Review on the moddb site.

Here's my ideas:

- There are lots of repeatable missions in the game, but how about adding some unique missions, that you can do once. Might make the mod more appealing to people who miss a story.

- NPCs should carry at least a bit of ammo for the gun they dropped, aside from the ammo in the gun.

- Maybe even more maps if possible? For me, Stalker is mainly about the crazy world it plays in and the random things happening. More maps would add to that.

- If possible, maybe an optional Faction Wars feature like the one in Clear Sky could be implemented. It would fit in well with the Freeplay mode.

- No idea if the Call of Pripyat engine supports this, but could the arena from SoC be integrated and maybe expanded, so that you can fight mutants and more NPCs after you win all the normal Arena matches?

On another topic, is it possible to make Yanov station neutral again? So that Freedom doesn't attack me when I enter as a Duty stalker.

kcs123
Scavenger

Re: Ideas for future updates

Postby kcs123 » 16 Oct 2015, 12:23

CoC is made more as modder resource than a standalone mod, so repeateable tasks/quests is good help for modders so they don't need to bother to create such sidequests. However, some story a like quest is something that other moders should add to game, not to be in CoC by default.
CoC is just come out, so you will have to be patient until someone provide mod with new quests along with CoC default repeatable sidequests.

- no ammo on NPC is bug in CoC, should be corrected in next patch

- more maps ? Well, we all want more, but there is limit how much maps x_ray can handle, there is fixed limit how much smart terains can be in whole game and such things. Smart terrains are invisible spots on maps that handles NPC spawns, AI tasks and similar. It is not just a map, there is lot of other things that comes with new map. And as I mention there is a limit of how many things can be processed by game engine, CoC is already near game engine limits.

- faction wars are feature of Clear Sky and arena fight is from Shadow of Chernobyl, both from differnt, older version of game engine. Like additional quest this is something for additional mods that use CoC as a base, not something that should be by default in CoC.

That is just my personal opinion on this topic, from perspective of someone that could use CoC as a base for further moding, don't know how much guys in TeamEpic have time and willpower for your requests.

Renay
Scavenger

Postby Renay » 16 Oct 2015, 12:50

By unique quests, I don't mean the storyquests. I mean they could leave some nonstory sidequests from CoP in there. Like the Bloodsucker Nest quest for example. Just to mix things up a bit.

Good to hear the ammo bug will be fixed.

I don't know myself around the engine, otherwise I would mod it myself :D
Didn't know it can only handle a certain amount of maps. I thought it could have more maps. Incredible stability considering it's pushing the limits of the engine though.

Still think Arena and Faction Wars would add a lot to the Freeplay mode. I doubt modders who use CoC as a base would leave that away if they could have it.

Alundaio
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby Alundaio » 16 Oct 2015, 14:27

We thought about adding the arena, not the stupid one from Soc, but the one from the beta builds. But it would be a lot of work for it and we don't have time.

Factions Wars like they are in CS would be difficult. You would have to set up smart cover jobs at all the faction bases and triggers for the player. All this code was ripped out when they made COP. However, CoC will have a system in place that lets factions control the respawners, but this will only be setup in Military Warehouses, modders will have to add it to other maps if they want. Example, is that if Duty comes along to Freedom base and kills everyone, the respawners will start spawning Duty instead of Freedom. Even the trader job by Skinflint will be taken over by a Duty member. Also, if a faction controlled smart is being contested, the squads will switch online if actor is outside of alife switch distance.
"I have a dream that one day this community will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all mods are created equal."

Renay
Scavenger

Postby Renay » 16 Oct 2015, 14:35

That sounds awesome. I have only had a short trip to Army Warehouses so far, so I didn't notice that.

Is it hard to implement that system to the other maps? I have no modding experience with Stalker, but if it's not too hard I could do it with a short tutorial.
Alternatively, do you know if somebody already made an addon that adds that? There are lots of little sub mods floating around, maybe it's already out there.

Khimicheskiy_Ali
Scavenger

Postby Khimicheskiy_Ali » 17 Oct 2015, 08:36

Renay wrote:By unique quests, I don't mean the storyquests. I mean they could leave some nonstory sidequests from CoP in there. Like the Bloodsucker Nest quest for example. Just to mix things up a bit.

I agree with everything kcs123 said. In my opinion, even something like your Bloodsucker Nest suggestion wouldn't be suitable. That area is an antenna complex, not a bloodsucker nest. As far as I'm aware, it's only a bloodsucker nest in Call of Pripyat's story. Call of Chernobyl isn't Call of Pripyat, so that would create extra work for modders who will have to waste time removing the quest.

Renay wrote:Is it hard to implement that system to the other maps? I have no modding experience with Stalker, but if it's not too hard I could do it with a short tutorial.

I think this is it here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=413

Giggily
Scavenger

Postby Giggily » 17 Oct 2015, 10:19

Renay wrote:Is it hard to implement that system to the other maps? I have no modding experience with Stalker, but if it's not too hard I could do it with a short tutorial.
Alternatively, do you know if somebody already made an addon that adds that? There are lots of little sub mods floating around, maybe it's already out there.

Implementing the system on other maps should be pretty quick and trivial. I started working on a mod to do this myself, but I've noticed that faction controlled smart terrains don't seem to spawn any squads so I haven't released anything really utilizing it at the moment.

I'm not sure what's going on with the spawns, but if they work I'd be able to release a mod utilizing it across the whole map in a couple of hours based on what I've already got done.

Alundaio
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby Alundaio » 17 Oct 2015, 23:34

yeah there was an error with reading the spawn number for faction controlled smarts, it was sort of a silent error because it would fail to read the rest of the config params. More specifically smart_terrain was passed as param for reading the string when it should have been "smart_terrain". Faction controlled smarts should now be working properly in latest dev_build commit.
"I have a dream that one day this community will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all mods are created equal."

Renay
Scavenger

Postby Renay » 18 Oct 2015, 09:43

Khimicheskaya_Ali wrote:I agree with everything kcs123 said. In my opinion, even something like your Bloodsucker Nest suggestion wouldn't be suitable. That area is an antenna complex, not a bloodsucker nest. As far as I'm aware, it's only a bloodsucker nest in Call of Pripyat's story. Call of Chernobyl isn't Call of Pripyat, so that would create extra work for modders who will have to waste time removing the quest.

If you put it like that, it makes sense.

Khimicheskiy_Ali
Scavenger

Postby Khimicheskiy_Ali » 18 Oct 2015, 11:31

I haven't been paying attention to this, but do random quest givers become friendly once you complete quests for them? If not, I think that would be a nice game mechanic for vanilla Call of Chernobyl. It makes sense because storyline NPCs usually become friendly when you help them and it would be another way to recruit companions other than those who you give medkits to.

Giggily
Scavenger

Postby Giggily » 18 Oct 2015, 12:32

Alundaio wrote:yeah there was an error with reading the spawn number for faction controlled smarts, it was sort of a silent error because it would fail to read the rest of the config params. More specifically smart_terrain was passed as param for reading the string when it should have been "smart_terrain". Faction controlled smarts should now be working properly in latest dev_build commit.

Unfortunately, using a blank simulation.ltx is still not showing any squad spawns. The UI in -dbg reflects timers and an already spawned squads list, but there are still no squads spawning when the timer counts down.

Alundaio
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby Alundaio » 18 Oct 2015, 16:07

okay, should be definitely working now. :)

Alundaio
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby Alundaio » 18 Oct 2015, 21:26

This makes the game a bit chaotic. I believe AxlDominator had an idea to implement a faction goal system on a global scale that would control faction behavior. I'm starting to think that this is necessary for this system to be perfect. If you flag a bunch of smarts for many factions they will be all over the place, but with system in place to choose specific goals then you can drive factions to specific locations or maybe migrate across levels slowly instead of just popping up everywhere. This way you can keep respawns only at a central base or level and have them move outward. But that is just a dream.

AxelDominatoR
Trespasser

Postby AxelDominatoR » 18 Oct 2015, 22:37

Alundaio wrote:This makes the game a bit chaotic. I believe AxlDominator had an idea to implement a faction goal system on a global scale that would control faction behavior. I'm starting to think that this is necessary for this system to be perfect. If you flag a bunch of smarts for many factions they will be all over the place, but with system in place to choose specific goals then you can drive factions to specific locations or maybe migrate across levels slowly instead of just popping up everywhere. This way you can keep respawns only at a central base or level and have them move outward. But that is just a dream.

Alundaio, that's exactly what I'm working on, actually :P
It will require some time as I'm dealing with other small modifications first, but with a bit of help and luck it will become reality.
Axel DominatoR

Renay
Scavenger

Postby Renay » 18 Oct 2015, 23:11

Alundaio wrote:This makes the game a bit chaotic.

I can confirm this. Been playing as Freedom with the new patch and there is constant shooting at the little farmstead next to freedom base. Soldiers, Duty and Freedom keep running there and shooting each other.

Return to “General Discussion”