Anyone here?

Alundaio
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Re: Anyone here?

Postby Alundaio » 06 Dec 2013, 14:43

Yeah. I'm familiar with what a-life is. They kinda over exaggerated the planner though, it's not as great as they make it out to be. Most developers have been using STRIPS planners to emulate a hierarchical task network which defeats the purpose of the system. Fear, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Just Cause 2 and even Ghostbusters use a very similar system to A-life.

I was messing with STRIPS planning in Unity on a game prototype I've been working on. I found it to be excessive for simple tasks, something that a Finite State Machine could accomplish faster and in less code. I actually use small FSMs inside my schemes, like xrs_kill_wounded. STRIPS does perform well for puzzles, there are some cool examples online.

Back to NPC trading. I'm having trouble figuring out how to evaluate if the NPC wants to trade. If we base it off of what he picks up in general it will work good, but only for stalkers onlines. It's not a good solution for NPCs offline, so they'll never take the trade job. I could have it two different systems, one with the suggested for online and then a timer for offline. But they will conflict when the NPC comes online to trade if the actor is nearby.

When NPCs come online every single item they own is passed through npc_on_item_pickup. I use these functions for xr_corpse_detection and xr_gather_item, as well. It's easy to evaluate here if the NPC has stuff he wants to sell, but it is possible NPCs will come from half-way across the map in offline mode to take this job, then go online only to find out they have nothing to trade.
"I have a dream that one day this community will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all mods are created equal."

Alundaio
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby Alundaio » 06 Dec 2013, 18:40

Here's a small change I did to xr_meet.script.
"I have a dream that one day this community will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all mods are created equal."

Bangalore
Explorer

Postby Bangalore » 07 Dec 2013, 11:34

Alundaio wrote:Here's a small change I did to xr_meet.script.

Another awesome feature against brainless serial killer player type. :D Now we have to think twice pointing gun at someone.
Alun, your ai tweaks has/will have some kind of "avoid friendly fire" feature (including not kill neutral/friendly actor)?
"Some sort of pressure must exist; the artist exists because the world is not perfect. Art would be useless if the world were perfect, as man wouldn’t look for harmony but would simply live in it. Art is born out of an ill-designed world."

Swartz
Adventurer

Postby Swartz » 07 Dec 2013, 14:32

This is all pretty awesome.
So now if I point a gun at someone, so will the rest of their squad? Sounds like I'm fucked unless I sneak attack friendlies then, lol.

Also hoping that NPC trading ends up working out as that would be a really fresh and amazing feature.

I also had a question for you regarding AI Tweaks and your new dynamic spawn system and beh system.
Let's say I want to add rooftop snipers to the water treatment plant in Zaton that can alert the rest of the base right away if they spot you within their scope range and of course use sniper fire against you on the rooftops from the prone position. I remember you showing off a Misery 2 video at one point where someone went prone.
Anyways, would I be able to do that? I wouldn't want the snipers to be able to leave their positions at all, they'd stay there and spot or snipe.

Alundaio
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Postby Alundaio » 07 Dec 2013, 15:07

So now if I point a gun at someone, so will the rest of their squad? Sounds like I'm fucked unless I sneak attack friendlies then, lol.

One thing I really hate about squads in stalker is that the members just stand around looking stupid when the commander is busy doing something. Usually how I test things is by shooting the squad leader when I meet one and I realized just how stupid it was that squad members don't even care. Now if you do that you'll get shot pretty damn quick, it's awesome. In fact, on Master with my ai aim values, you'll die. I did other tweaks like remove the check for actor's weapon altogether if the squad is friendly (green) and the need to actually put your weapon away to initiate dialog, since dialog hides your weapon anyway. Better reactivity and less of a pain in the ass for the player.

Let's say I want to add rooftop snipers to the water treatment plant in Zaton that can alert the rest of the base right away if they spot you within their scope range and of course use sniper fire against you on the rooftops from the prone position. I remember you showing off a Misery 2 video at one point where someone went prone.
Anyways, would I be able to do that? I wouldn't want the snipers to be able to leave their positions at all, they'd stay there and spot or snipe.

Yeah you would be able to do that. But Stalkers can only move to valid level vertex ids. I set up the beh scheme to handle animation like xr_animpoint does. If you specify a position you can snap the stalker to the position regardless if it is valid. Kinda like how crab floats to his bed. I couldn't get the prone animation to play nice with shooting animations though, dunno why. But it still looks cool if a sniper is prone, when he enters combat using the xr_camper scheme he can at least fire in the crouch position staying in that spot. The camper scheme was altered to take in params from logic just like the beh scheme. All it does is allow stalkers to enter combat with enemies and not leave their waypoint path.

I added about a dozen new functions to xr_condition to give better control over jobs. In that video you saw Duty sneak into the water planet, moving only when the guards had their back turned or were at certain waypoint indexes. The Sniper provided cover fire if they entered combat.

@Bangalore: Yeah, rx_ff is in.

Return to “General Discussion”